Natural Remedies to Beat Parasites
A diverse and healthy gut microbiome is key to a myriad of bodily functions. When we are deficient in desirable bacteria, conditions favor proliferation of infectious parasites and overgrowth of pathogenic species that impair gut function, erode health and cause discomfort, poor immune response and even obesity.
We tend to think of parasites as strictly a third world problem while in fact they are common even in western countries. Parasitic infections cause uncomfortable symptoms and can be a contributing factor to serious conditions, yet often go undetected.
Read on to find out how to tell if a parasitic infection could be contributing to your health challenges. Plus, learn how to eliminate infections and restore balance to your gut with an antiparasitic diet complemented with herbal remedies.
How to Tell You Have Parasites
Stool testing is the standard method for positively identifying a parasitic infection. Unfortunately, this method is somewhat limited in effectiveness. Parasites have life cycles and if they are not in an active state at the time of testing, there won’t be evidence of their presence in the sample.
Dr. Jay Davidson says these symptoms can indicate parasites:
- IBS symptoms, especially alternating diarrhea and constipation
- Food allergies and gluten sensitivity
- Dark circles under the eyes
- Teeth grinding
- Difficulty in falling asleep and night waking
- Itchy rectum
Diet is an important part of a complete plan to remove a parasitic infection. Here, from parasite expert Dr. Jay, are tips on what to exclude from your meals while you are treating parasites:
- Dr. Jay advises that people who are treating parasites should avoid sugars and grains, including fruits and honey. Sugar feeds parasites while weakening your immune response.
Processed foods should be avoided because they drain energy from your immune system and digestive tract which would be better spent fighting the infection.
Alcohol depletes the immune system and causes long term health problems.
- Pork is often contaminated with parasites and should be avoided while working to eliminate parasites from the body.
Foods That Support Elimination of Parasites
Dr. Jay also shares several foods that we should be sure to include in our diets to help us recover from parasites:
- Apple Cider Vinegar: One teaspoon, taken up to three times daily kills parasites, restores acidity of digestive tract and improves digestion.
- Probiotics: Essential for restoring healthy diversity of the GI tract. Take at least one hour apart from apple cider vinegar.
Cinnamon & Ginger: Effective natural remedies for parasites. Add to a cup of tea or a smoothie to boost your daily consumption.
Vitamin C: A potent antioxidant and known immune enhancer, vitamin C also helps to eradicate parasites. Take 4 grams daily while fighting an infection.
- Garlic: An excellent remedy for both parasites and yeast. Try slicing a couple cloves of garlic and swallowing it in a glass of water between meals.
Olive Oil: Add 1-2 spoonfuls to your meals on a daily basis to support elimination of yeast and parasites.
Pumpkin Seeds: Hailed as the most potent antiparasitic at our disposal, pumpkin seeds should be included in any parasite treatment.
- Papaya Seeds: Papaya seeds contain an enzyme called papain that helps to break down parasites.
Dr. Jay advises us to include digestive enzymes in our parasite protocol. That’s because parasites thrive on protein, and they like their protein intact. Digestive enzymes hasten the process of breaking down proteins in our foods into amino acids before parasites have a chance to consume them. Otherwise, we’re left with a deficiency of the amino acids that we need to create neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin!
Digestive enzymes also restore a healthy acidity to our digestive tract, which makes it an inhospitable environment for parasites. Plus, they increase our ability to digest and absorb nutrients in our food.
Herbal Remedies for Parasites
Here are some commonly recommended botanical therapies for eliminating parasites:
Wormwood: Wormwood effectively removes intestinal parasites, especially roundworms and pinworms.
Black Walnut: Black walnut contains a compound called juglone that is toxic to parasites. It is used to remove ringworm, tapeworm, pinworm, threadworm and other parasites of the intestines.
- Clove: Cloves contain eugenol, the most powerful germicidal agent in the plant kingdom! This compound allows clove to kill not only mature parasites, but their eggs and larvae as well.
***When used in combination, wormwood, black walnut and clove are believed to eliminate parasites by targeting them at all phases of their life cycles.***
Chamomile: Chamomile is an effective remedy for worms.This calming herb also soothes the digestive tract and relieves symptoms like gas and bloating.
Sarsaparilla & Myrrh: These herbs are an important component of an anti-parasitic regimen because they dissolve the biofilm that pathogenic organisms use to protect themselves from antimicrobial herbs.
- Mimosa Pudica: Dr. Jay cannot say enough good things about Mimosa Pudica for parasite removal! Make sure you select the seed, rather than whole plant form when shopping for supplements. The seed produces a sticky, gelatinous substance that scrapes the walls of the gut and grabs hold of anything that shouldn’t be there.
Parasites and the Moon
It’s no secret that many people experience sleeplessness, heightened irritability and unstable emotions around the time of the full moon. But did you know that the underlying cause of our lunar moodiness is suspected to be…parasites!?
Parasite eggs hatch on or within a few days of the full moon. This activity is believed to be the cause of the craziness we exhibit at the time. It also represents a vulnerability for parasites.
Schedule your parasite cleanse such that the targeted removal of parasites occurs on or shortly before the full moon for a more effective treatment.
* * *
It may not be pleasant to think about, but parasites are a day to day reality – even for those of us who live in developed countries. If you’ve ever travelled internationally, eaten sushi or even just walked outside barefoot, you’ve had an opportunity to contract parasites. Fortunately, getting rid of them is almost as easy. If you suspect that parasites are detracting from your wellbeing, get started today by taking a test or simply jump right in to the healing protocols.