Gluten free & Dairy free
Shakshuka is a classic Middle Eastern and North African dish made from simple, healthy ingredients. It’s usually served with poached eggs but a dollop or two of coconut yoghurt makes for a great vegan alternative.
This dish can easily be prepared in twenty minutes so makes for a great meal to whip up for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
The legumes make this dish high in protein. In fact, weight for weight, they contain almost as much protein as fillet steak, at a fraction of the cost and with many more health benefits:
- They help to reduce cholesterol and protect against heart disease, circulatory problems and bowel cancer
- They’re great for diabetics as they provide slow release energy due to their low GI
- They are rich in plant hormones (phytooesrogens) which protect against osteoporosis and breast and prostate cancers!
This dish is wonderfully flavoursome with the abundance of spices and herbs it contains. Cumin is an important spice used a lot in Indian and Middle Eastern food. Like so many herbs and spices, cumin has a soothing effect on the digestive system to help counter flatulence and dyspepsia. Coriander is valued for its cooling quality, its digestive aid and its detoxification capabilities. And oregano, known for its wide use in Mediterranean cooking, is an effective antiseptic for the respiratory tract and for colic too.
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can butter beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds, whole
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¼ - ½ tsp ground chilli
- Coconut yoghurt
1. Lightly roast the cumin seeds in a fry pan until slightly brown and add the rest of the spices and herbs. Transfer to a grinder and grind until the spice mixture is like sand.
2. Slightly fry the onion in a large frypan and add the ground herbs and spices.
3. When the onions are brown, add the cans of diced tomatoes and the cans of beans and let simmer for about fifteen minutes.
4. Enjoy with some corn chips or bread and some coconut yoghurt.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @goodnesslover on Instagram and hashtag it #goodnesslover
Get Started Today!
Enter Your Name & Email to Get Instant Access To Our Newsletter & Your Complimentary Ebook, Quarantine Cuisine: Easy, Nourishing Recipes To Support Your Immune System.